Monday, August 29, 2005

The OLYMPIC Hopefuls

I'm sorry, but I'll be dead int he cold, cold ground before I recognize the name change. I happened to catch the second half of the Olympic Hopefuls' set at the State Fair on Saturday, and it was most excellent (all the more so when I found out that it was their third sat of the day... keeping up that level of energy for three back-to-back-to-back shows takes a lot of gumption; I'm talking gumption levels similar to those showed by the Polar Expedition Husky Dogs I'd seen earlier that morning at the Fair. But I digress). They have energy and they have melody, and they have a Moog Liberation (the keyboard that looks like a guitar). That's a potent combo to stumble into when you're walking around in a grease daze, thinking that the best you're going to do musically is a Johnny Horton tribute singer.

Aside from the music, seeing the Olympic Hopefuls got me all agitated about the situation witht heir name (I'm sure you've heard this, but just in case you haven't: the International Olympic Committee, who are a bunch of dicks who will leave no stone unturned in their quest to suck every drop of money out of the Olympic franchise, threatened legal action if the band didn't change their name, which the IOC claimed was infringing on their copyright). And I came to a conclusion... I'm pretty happy with my band, and have no intention of leaving. But if, for whatever reason, I do end up starting a new band any time soon, it'll be called "The Olympic Trademark Lawyers Are a Bunch of Douchebags."

No comments: