Friday, August 4, 2006

she had lost with the bully conscience



So I'm bumping this disc by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's because I read on Salon's Audiofile about how the Margot in the band's name is Margot Tennenbaum from "The Royal Tennenbaums." And I'm a sucker for all things Wes Anderson. I'm thinking maybe for my birthday I'll organize a party wherein I show all of Wes Anderson's movies ("Bottle Rocket," "Rushmore," "The Royal Tennenbaums," and "Life Aquatic," for those of you scoring at home) and have some bands play. Don't even know how I would handle the logistics of that.

But about this band: I don't know who the Nuclear So and So's are or what relationship they have to the object of Richie's affection. This album doesn't sound very much like music that would appear in an Anderson film, which, of course, is not its duty, but the music doesn't seem unrelated to their vibe, as Thomas Bartlett at Salon noted. So far, I'm having a hard time thinking anything except softly brushed indie rock here. Of course, I could have said largely the same thing about Midlake, and their disc has gradually turned into one of my favorite of the year. So far, so hookless, though. I may just rewind back to the second track, "Skeleton Key," which Bartlett talked about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come one, come all
to the Minnesota Premiere of ...
THE STAR CHAMBER
a comic and cosmic farce

" ... reminiscent of Isaac Asimov composing limericks"
Kansas City Stage Review, KC Fringe Festival

"a piece of inspired lunacy"
Brendan McNally, playwright, Ottawa Fringe Festival

at the MIXED BLOOD THEATRE
Wednesday 8/9 at 8:30 PM
Friday 8/11 at 10:00 PM

as part of the Minnesota Fringe Festival