Thursday, December 7, 2006

Snowden at the Triple Rock

Snowden's full-length debut, Anti-Anti, really took me by surprise. At first I thought it had a couple cool songs ("Counterfeit Rules" and the title track) but then I realized that "My Murmuring Darling" is also great. And "Black Eyes." And "Innocent Heathen." And pretty much every other track on this disc. The tools they use are deceptively simple: muscular basslines, delay-laden guitar parts, and singer Jordan Jeffares' laconic delivery. On record, it's a humble mix of Interpol's darkness and Bloc Party's danceness, but live, the parts make up a considerably greater sum. They didn't play "Counterfeit Rules," which disappointed me a bit, but everything they did play felt confident and solid. The switch from distorted keyboard bass to real live four-string bass on "Black Eyes" came off as particularly forceful. Here are some photos I took, plus, here's the link to their MySpace page, where you can check out a handful of tracks. Who knew Atlanta could brew this up?

Snowden on MySpace






No comments: