Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Trade rumors

I have mixed feelings about a Kevin Garnett trade--it's as simple as that. My gut tells me it's time to move on (and, as Stephen Colbert knows, there are more nerve endings in your gut than anywhere else in your body) but I also really really really don't want him to go to the Lakers. Celtics? Sure. The Suns? That'd be ideal actually since they're my favorite team after the T'wolves, but I don't see it happening.

But KG teaming with Kobe? That's like Spiderman turning into Venom, like Annakin turning into Darth Vader, like your first best friend from fourth grade going to your enemy's house to play. Worst of all, I'd have to like the Lakers, because team's change, but players are forever and KG is bar none my favorite player of all time of anything.

But also, the prospect of having the 5th, 7th and 19th pick in a loaded draft is enticing, particularly with already having Craig Smith and Randy Foye on the team. I mean, if we somehow end up with Bynum, Foye, Smith, Yi Jianlian, Joakim Noah (or Corey Brewer?), and the 19th pick--which, can we get Petteri Koponen or Tiago Splitter? They have the best names in the draft--that's interesting. It smacks of the Bulls a couple of years ago when it was all young guys and they sucked, but look at them now! Whether or not anybody on that above list blossoms, there's always a shot that you can roll them over to the Knicks and get something good back. Or at least something expiring.

I'd also trade Kevin McHale to anyone, anywhere for a $5 coupon to Dairy Queen.

2 comments:

Martin said...

pretty much agree on everything here, Steve. But it probably is best that it happens after all the rumors. If nothing happens and he stays and we suck, that will be so incredibly depressing on all fronts. As a complete homer and lover of all things KG, I can't believe I feel this way, but...

Josh Peterson said...

introducing your 2007-2008 florida timberwolves!

#3: Horford
#7: Brewer
#11: Noah