Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chunklet gets real about AmRep Records

There are some serious devotees of Amphetamine Reptile Records out there, and that's incredible. It's a part of the Minneapolis music scene that I completely missed, so it's always great to hear about someone else's experience, especially when they post mp3s of the band they're talking about. This post mostly concernes a band called Halo of Flies, who sound great. I'm particularly fascinated by the way they're described as threatening. That's always been an underrated quality in music, I think. I'm not talking about theatrical darkness (like Marilyn Manson) or simple thuggish obnoxiousness (Limp Bizkit?), but rather something closer to the Romantic notion of the sublime--something that's so overwhelming to your aesthetic apparatus that you're transformed.

In other news, I just got a lovely little package of discs from James Everest of his and his sister's new CDs, for which they're having a release show at the Bryant-Lake Bowl on June 29. I haven't gotten to dig into the discs yet, but for more info, you can check out jgeverest.com.

Today, perhaps I'll write six or seven CD reviews.

No comments: